Gillespie Kidd & Coia
St Bride’s, in its original condition, the finest work of postwar church architecture in the country. One of a series of expressionistic R.C. church designs by the firm, beginning in the mid-50s with St. Paul’s, Glenrothes. A single, roof-lit volume enclosed by a massive but subtly modelled loadbearing wall of rough-textured brick, pierced by a slit-like entrance door in a curved embrasure. Owing to structural problems, the sheer, 90ft. high campanile, which consisted of two brick slabs with slatted timber screen infilling, was dismantled in 1987, and has not yet been reinstated. Listed by Historic Scotland, 1994.
Information from ‘Rebuilding Scotland: The Postwar Vision, 1945-75’, (1997).