Biscoe and Stanton Architects
Little Venice, London
St Saviour’s Church is a striking, angular and soaring 1976 brick church adjacent to Warwick Avenue underground station. The current brick structure replaced a vast gothic structure made of kentish ragstone and built around 1855, by Thomas Little architects. This old building was demolished in 1972 and it was replaced by a contemporary brick structure, designed by Michael Biscoe, of (then) Biscoe and Stanton architects. The original church was deemed too large for its 1960’s congregation and it was proposed that the new design for the site accommodate a block of flats at the rear of the new development.